South Korean Musical "Sweeney Todd" in 2019-2020

This musical received the Work Prize in the 4th Korean Musical Awards. Conglatulations!!
I saw this Awards live through internet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, November 17, 2019 14:00 Start
Charlotte Theater in Seoul
http://www.kstar-musical.com/theater/charlotte-theater

[Main Casts]
Sweeney Todd: Mr. CHO SEUNG WOO
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cho_Seung-woo
Mrs. Lovett: Ms. KIM JIHYON
Turpin Judge : Mr. SO YONJU

It was also an one-day trip to Seoul from Tokyo.

Regarding this musical, all were splendid!!! It seemed to see an opera!
We can enjoy Mr. CHO SEUNG WOO's various attractiveness and abilities as a musical actor in this.
I felt common musical actors can not play this, and only "SUPER actors and actresses" can play this musical "Sweeney Todd".
I would like to have a DVD or an OST of this musical in these South Korean casts very much!!!
Also, I would like to see all combinations of all casts.


As a prior learning for this;
- I read some reports of this musical in South Korean casts in three years ago.
- I saw this musical movie again.
- I saw some motion pictures of this musical in Japanese casts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eup-Ui9Myfc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqn5fHYWb2Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snYykfyoD0E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPSWcmMzVZA
- I saw Mr. CHO SEUNG WOO's interview. (Thank you so much for the translators into Japanese.)


After I listened this interview, I became to want to know about Sondheim's music, and saw these motion pictures about Sondheim's music (Part 1 to 17).
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xBUyWQGukoM
Also, I saw the vocal score in a YAMAHA shop.
However, when I started to see this stage, study and knowledge for the socore were blown away. I had been preoccupied in the stage.


In the thearter, the conductor practiced before the show also this time.
As usual, the orchestra and ensemble were perfect and splendid!!

My seat class was "R", so it was good to bring an opera grasses. I was able to see fine eyes and face expressions of actors through them.
Sometimes actors seemed to talk to the audience close to the stage, so I think we can enjoy this musical in seats close to the stage more.

I heard Mr CHO SEUNG WOO's live whistle first. It is very nice!!

Around the last scene, Todd held his wife very affectionately who had been killed by him accidentally. I like this scene best. I like Mr CHO SEUNG WOO's how to hold "Todd's wife".

Through the story, "Tobey" is the key person, I think.

There seemed to be so many interesting ad - lib words, but I was not able to understand them unfortunately...
If I can understand the Korean language, I certainly would be able to enjoy this musical more.

Mr CHO SEUNG WOO said in his interview above that he like the song; "Pretty Woman" very much.
There are many so beautiful or specific songs in this musical, and I also like "Pretty Woman" best among them which have mysterious beauty.

The stage sets and direction are no problem. I imagine the stage sets are so firm.

I certainly recommend this South Korean musical.


The Charlotte Theater is very convenient for us foreigners because an airport bus stop is in front of the theater, though the seat space per person is small...

As usual, all South Korean perple I met in this travel were very kind. I think South Korean perple are spiritually rich.


Some days ago, this musical production published the motion picture below. We enjoy this so much.


Comments