South Korean Musical "Jekyll & Hyde" in 2018-2019

Sunday, April 28, 2019 14:00 Start
Charlotte Theater in Seoul
http://www.kstar-musical.com/theater/charlotte-theater

[Main Casts]
Jekyll & Hyde: Mr. CHO SEUNG WOO (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cho_Seung-woo)
Lucy: Ms. Hena
Emma: Ms. Min Gyona

It was a travel overseas for me after a long time.
Last time was also to Seoul to see a musical.
https://iceskate-iceskate.blogspot.com/2015/11/south-korean-musical-man-of-la-mancha_1.html

Owing to my situation, this time was an one-day trip to Seoul from Tokyo! It was very busy travel.....

In the theater lobby, it was so crowded, so I managed to take some pictures of the casts on the day displayed.
Also, for my memory. I bought a red small pouch printed "This is The Moment". (Needless to say, this is a song title in this musical.)

From my seat, I was able to see the conductor practiced. I think she is the same conductor as I saw some South Korean musicals before. She is a very musical conductor using her full body. From her conducting, we seem to be able to hear the music.

The orchestra pit was under the stage, and the next to the conductor were audience seats! I think we can see important contacts between the conductor and actors from the seats aroud the conductor. So, in next time I see a musical in this theater, I will try to book a seat aroud the conductor.

Regarding the first hospital scene's production, I felt the previous time I saw this musical in the 2014 year was darker than that in this time. I prefer this time's production.

Mr. CHO SEUNG WOO as "Jekyll & Hyde" sang at full force from the opening, so I got anxious about him because this musical is so hard to the end...

Regarding Ms. Min Gyona as "Emma", her voice is very lovely. She is the most lovely and luminous image "Emma" in my experiences. Her singing was also splended.

Regarding Ms. Hena as "Lucy", her singing and performances were very much splended!! I think Her "Lucy" resembles to the first "Lucy" in the South Korean musical in the 2005 year; Ms. Choe Jeong-Won.
Ms. Hena sang Lucy's songs magnificently, also with her originality.

Last time I saw this South Korean musical, I missed to see Jekyll's behavour during the Lucy's show.
So, I noticed to see it this time.
(There seems to be various versions, so I do not write it here for future his performances.)

Regarding a so important song; "This is The Moment" which invited me to this South Korean musical, to tell the truth, this time was very much better than the previous time I saw this musical in Seoul. I felt he was able to sing this song easily with his original wonderful melody changes. Regarding the last long tone, Mr. CHO SEUNG WOO sang it with full effort from the start in the 2014 year, but in this time, he seemed to save the volume of voice a little in the beginning to sing this song comletely surely to the end.
Last time I listened this song he sang, I felt he feels sated and do not throb with this song, but in this time, this song was so strong and beautiful.
Mr. Kanji Ishimaru who performed "Jekyll & Hyde" in Japan said in his seminar that it is permmitted to change the key of a song to make the most of the actor's voice. So, I think Mr. CHO SEUNG WOO may change the song's key to sing it easily this time.

All in all, songs in this musical seem to be difficult to be sung.


*The previous stages in the 2014 year.
https://iceskate-iceskate.blogspot.com/2015/01/south-korean-musical-2014-2015-jekyll.html

https://iceskate-iceskate.blogspot.com/2014/12/south-korean-musical-2014-2015-jekyll_25.html


After "This is The Moment", the first transformation from "Jekyll" to "Hyde" was especially splended!!! I can not know when he removed the hair elastic which "Jekyll" uses.

I think this time's "Hyde" is more fearful than before.

In total, singing of Mr. CHO SEUNG WOO this time was much stronger, more stable, more completed, and more beautiful than before.
I can not believe that he has some years blank in musical.
(Conversely, this blank may be good for him??)

A hoodlum around "Lucy" standed out this time. He comletely did not stand out in the 2014 year stage in me...

In the interval, some orchestra members practiced. Both last and this times, the orchestra and the emsemble were in perfect form.

The production this time was a little changed from the 2014 year. I think I prefer this time.

It was really full impact, high quality, and very highly completed musical!!
There were big standing ovations at the curtain call.

At the last of the curtain call, Mr. CHO SEUNG WOO (Jekyll) threw his hair elastic to my seat direction. It did not reach me but I felt he said to me "Thank you for coming!"
I think it happens accidentally, but I felt so happy!

I would like to see this high quality South Korean musical in Japan.... Both stages and movies will do for us.

Also, I wish I would see other actors' "Jekyll & Hyde", too. Especially, Mr. Hong Kwang Ho's.

From the airport bus in homecoming, I saw so beautiful and peaceful views; people are cycling, running, etc. along a river.
Also, all South Korean people I met in both this and last times were very kind.
I think, generally, South Korean people are so kind and brilliant, so it is good if South Korea and Japan are in good relationship.
(However, unfortunately there seems to be various (some?) problems?? between the two countries...)

By the way, today, North Korea seems to set off something dangerous, so unfortunately, maybe I can not aboard any airplane (I can not go abroad) in the meantime because it is dangerous...








Comments